2008/02/26

Voice's Human

Probably because of my penchant for voice, I love a cappella music.
And probably out of nostalgia, I really like the Swingle Singers.

My favorite works of theirs are probably their versions of Bach pieces. Those are part of my life's soundtrack, especially when I feel good.
Sure, it sounds "dated" because these vocal harmonies were prominent in French movies and advertising from the early 1960s. But there's a special charm to this kind of "trip down memory lane" on which we can go, just by listening to something. While it's fun to "live in the now," being able to go back and forth in time can elicit strong emotions. At least, it does in me.

Yet, a cappella music isn't just about the 1960s. It's actually a very broad category in music which spans many genres, from barbershop quartets and boy bands to doo-wop and religious choirs.
During my Ph.D. coursework, part of my favorite work was something I did about Bloomington's a cappella scene. In part because it was a typical college town, Bloomington had a number of a cappella groups while I was living there. At the time, I was able to talk with members of Monkey Puzzle, Vida, Straight No Chaser, and Ladies First. Some of these groups have disbanded since then but many of those voices are still resounding. For instance, Moira Smiley has gone on to form new vocal bands.
The human voice is such a wonderful thing. Diverse and universal. Versatile and finite. Historical and atemporal.

No comments: